Monday, January 23, 2012

Boats, Classes and Plays, Oh My.

     I've been in London for almost a whole week! Oy (with-the-poodles-already) I can't believe it! So many fun things have been going on since the last time I posted- I saw Wicked in Central London and it was MAGICAL! I was a little disappointed that the actress playing Glinda the good witch wasn't as Kristen Chenoweth-y as I had hoped, but the cast was amazing and Mom, I cried a little during Defying Gravity and Kelley Anne, there were no JoBros in sight. I took my first tube ride to get to the play and I was pleasantly surprised to find the London Underground to be be so much cleaner and easier than the Manhattan Subway System. And also, for you HP fans (I'm looking at you Meaghan, Jessie, and Katie) I was in the station where Harry works his babe-magnet charm and then Dumbledore awkwardly interrupts with his creepy dead hand thing- in Half Blood Prince. I know you know which part I'm talking about. No shame.


   Aside from the play, one of the other Orientation activities offered through Richmond was a Booze Cruise Boat Party, where there were bartenders available to fulfill each guest's only every need. The boat  went up and down the River Thames, Thames River, The Thames, "Tha Rivah"; for about 4 hours until we docked back again at the pier. During the cruise I took a loads of pictures- now go click open that new tab button and stalk me on Facebook like a normal person. I got to meet a lot of new people that night and I also learned I don't really do well on boats, or dancing while on boats, or dancing while texting while being on a boat. #whitegirlproblems

   Now that classes have officially started, I'm learning to manage my time better and to avoid taking frequent cat naps during the day. My first class at Richmond was supposed to be this morning...but luckily I checked my email last night to see that it was cancelled because the professor was "occupying Canada" ...cool. So I won't get to physically BE in that class until next Monday but my other classes are so far very interesting and are much smaller than I am used to. At URI, my usual class is 30-60 students depending on the lecture hall but here at Richmond, I only counted 11 people in my first class! The professor knew me by name and hair color (because I was the only gingy kid #typical) before I'd even sat down! This will be interesting...

 We've gone exploring a little around London and seen some pretty cool things! While in Picadilly Circus, my flatmates and I stumble upon London's China town! It was very different from NYC though... no one tried to sell me a Rolex, and no one took me up the street, around the corner, up 5 flights of stairs, into a Korean sweatshop to look at some fake Chanel and Gucci. It was refreshing. Naturally as tourists, we chose the only non-asian restaurant in the area and sat down at an Irish pub for dinner. I don't know if it is our group or just everyone else's inability to serve us... we struggled once again with ordering food- because we have yet to be served by an English person...everyone is Russian, Spanish or Yugoslavian. I just want a waiter to say "here ya go love" or "cheeyuhs ladies" is that too much to ask?

There's a dinner tonight that is being held by the mayor of Kensington. I know right... I don't know the MAYOR. But as international students we are invited to eat and drink at this party tonight and that means free food so that means I'm so there. 

AND NOW FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE...PICTURES!!!
Kensington Square

RBKC- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

a view of High Street Kensington... THERE'S A GAP. 

Kensington Square Park...NO DOGS. 

What I have claimed as my future home in Kensington Square

No comments:

Post a Comment